Smith Sciences CrashPlan Client Data Back-Up
Welcome! CrashPlan is a tool which will allow you to automatically backup up to 4 computers and recover/access your files from any of those devices. To get access to CrashPlan send an email to email@example.com and you will be added to the system. Please follow the links below to get to the section you’re looking for.
Moving to a new computer
Important Key Features:
- CrashPlan is self-service, easy to use and takes only a few minutes to download, install and start backing up
- Your files are safe, encrypted and stored securely on CrashPlan Servers
- Encryption keys are securely stored by CATS on campus
- You can restore files easily, at any time with the CrashPlan software on your computer or to your mobile device
For more information about CrashPlan you can visit CrashPlan.com
To get started:
1) Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to CrashPlan.
2) Once you’ve heard back from CATS go to this URL: https://www.crashplan.com/login
3) Sign in to CrashPlan with your Smith email address and password.
You will see the following :
4) Select ADMINISTATION and then Downloads.
5) Choose your OS to start downloading the CrashPlan client. (Smith Windows computers run Windows x64) Once the CrashPlan installer is downloaded locate it in your Downloads area.
A) On OS X open the Disk Image (.dmg) file and double-click to run the contained PROe installer. [CLICK on “install for ALL users”]
B)On Windows double-click on the Installer (.msi) file and follow default options(you may be prompted to open up the firewall, do this)
6) Once installed you will be presented with this window (you may need to open the CrashPlan app if it doesn’t automatically open):
5) Enter your full email address
6) For the Server Address enter: central.crashplan.com
7) Once you select “Continue” you’ll be sent to the Smith login page.
8) Enter your username/password here and accept the DUO login.
You’ll then be shown the following screen
And then you’re all set! If you’re adding a new machine. You can click on “Manage Files” and to add/remove files to be backed up. By default your user folder on both Mac and Windows are backed up which means your documents and desktop are backed up automatically.
If you’re replacing or updating your existing computer go to here
Please note: the first complete backup could take up to a couple days depending on how many files you have.
9) Now sit back and relax
You can close the CrashPlan window; the backup will continue running. If/when the time comes, you can restore your files from any of your computers running the CrashPlan client or through the CrashPlan web portal.
Choose files/folders to be backed up
By default CrashPlan chooses to back up your entire Users folder which is great, but if you have files in other locations you’ll want to click on the “Manage Files” button in the CrashPlan app near your backup. Then select the check-box on the files/folders you want backed up. Conversely you can exclude files/folders that you do not want backed up.
Once you have successfully backed up your Smith College computer you may add up to THREE more workstations. Where applicable this could include Smith owned student workstations and/or computers attached to analytical devices in your research spaces, for example. Again, please email email@example.com the ITS Fixed Asset number(s) for each computer you add.
Personally Owned Computers
If you have not used up your FOUR allocated back up seats you may add a personal home computer(s) to CrashPlan under the following conditions:
1) You are backing up at least ONE Smith owned computer
2) You will back up your personal home computer through your home internet service provider (i.e., you will not use Smith bandwidth)
To restore files you either deleted or need older version of, follow these instructions:
Go to Start > Programs > CrashPlan > CrashPlan
Go to Macintosh HD > Applications > CrashPlan (double click the app)
You will then see a window similar to this:
Select Get Files
Browse to the directory/file you’d like to restore
Select the file you’d like to restore and choose the options for restoring
Select the file/folder you’d like to restore.
Once you choose the file you’ll see a small clock show up to the right of the file name. Choosing this will allow you to choose a different version of the file.
Once you’ve chosen the version of the file you want click “Get Files”
You’ll then be able to choose where to save the file(s), what to do if a file with the same name already exists and also set permissions on the file(s). Once that is set hit “Go” and your files will be restored.
When you get a new device, Crashplans replace device wizard can help you transfer files, move your backup, and update settings from a previous device. This is recommended if you are:
- Moving a backup to a new device
- Replacing an old device
- Replacing your device’s main hard drive
- Recovering after an operating system reinstall
Instructions can be found here:
Crashplan Replace Your Device