Smith Sciences CrashPlan PROe Client Data Back-Up
Welcome! CrashPlan is a tool which will allow you to automatically backup up to 4 computers and recover/access your files from any of those devices. To get access to CrashPlan send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be added to the system. Please follow the links below to get to the section you’re looking for.
Important Key Features:
- CrashPlan PROe is self-service, easy to use and takes only a few minutes to download, install and start backing up
- Your files are safe, encrypted and stored securely on CrashPlan PROe Servers
- Encryption keys are securely stored by CATS on campus
- You can restore files easily, at any time with the CrashPlan PROe software on your computer or to your mobile device
To get started:
1) Email email@example.com to request CrashPlan. Please include the ITS fixed asset number (e.g., ITS00####) for the computer you will be installing this on.
2) Once you’ve heard back from CATS go to this URL: https://code42.smith.edu:4285/console/login.html
3) Sign in to CrashPlan with your Smith username and password. [username only, NOT email address!]
You will see the following :
- Once the CrashPlan installer is downloaded locate it in your Downloads area.
- On OS X open the Disk Image (.dmg) file and double-click to run the contained PROe installer. [CLICK on “install for ALL users”]
- On Windows double-click on the Installer (.exe) file and follow default options(you may be prompted to open up the firewall, do this)
Select “Existing User”
5) Enter your username and password
6) For the Server Address enter: code42.smith.edu
7) Click “Continue”
You’ll then be prompted with the following screen
If you’re replacing or updating your existing computer go to here otherwise choose “Add New Device” and follow the instructions below.
You will be prompted to confirm that you are adding this a s a new device. Click “Yes”.
8) Start your backup
When the Code42 CrashPlan Client opens after installation, click “View details” underneath your computer (it’ll say “this device”). There the software will say “No destination Selected”. Click the link for “Add destinations.”
Click Save and then Done on the next screen and then your backup will begin.
Please note: the first complete backup could take up to a couple days depending on how many files you have.
9) Now sit back and relax
You can close the CrashPlan window; the backup will continue running. If/when the time comes, you can restore your files from any of your computers running the Code42 CrashPlan client or through the Code42 web portal.
Choose files/folders to be backed up
By default Crashplan chooses to back up your entire Users folder which is great, but if you have files in other locations you’ll want to click on the “change” button under “folders” and add/remove files/folders you want backed up. Conversely you can exclude files/folders that you do not want backed up.
You can download, view and share files being backed up to the PROe Cloud on your mobile device with CrashPlan’s secure file retrieval app, available for iOS and Android. (Windows phone app deprecated)
Once you have successfully backed up your Smith College computer you may add up to THREE more workstations. Where applicable this could include Smith owned student workstations and/or computers attached to analytical devices in your research spaces, for example. Again, please email firstname.lastname@example.org the ITS Fixed Asset number(s) for each computer you add.
Personally Owned Computers
If you have not used up your FOUR allocated back up seats you may add a personal home computer(s) to CrashPlan under the following conditions:
1) You get approval form CATS to add a personal computer
2) You are backing up at least ONE Smith owned computer
3) You will back up your personal home computer through your home internet service provider (i.e., you will not use Smith bandwidth)
Go to Start > Programs > Code42 Crashplan > Code42 CrashPlan
Go to Macintosh HD > Applications > Code42 CrashPlan (double click the app)
You will then see a window similar to this:
Select the file/folder you’d like to restore.
Once you choose the file you’ll see a small clock show up to the right of the file name. Choosing this will allow you to choose a different version of the file.
Once you’ve chosen the version of the file you want click “Get Files”
You’ll then be able to choose where to save the file(s), what to do if a file with the same name already exists and also set permissions on the file(s). Once that is set hit “Go” and your files will be restored.
When you get a new device, Code42 CrashPlan’s replace device wizard can help you transfer files, move your backup, and update settings from a previous device. This is recommended if you are:
- Moving a backup to a new device
- Replacing an old device
- Replacing your device’s main hard drive
- Recovering after an operating system reinstall
Instructions can be found here: