The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program is for students majoring in science, engineering, and mathematics. There are two program sites: one at NIST‘s Boulder, Colorado campus and another at NIST‘s Gaithersburg, Maryland campus. Smith College students participated in NIST SURF in 2016 and 2017 (1 student), 2015 (2 students) and 2014 (3 students).
|NIST SURF at Boulder provides opportunities for approximately 20 SURFers. Opportunities are available in the fields of:
||NIST SURF at Gaithersburg provides opportunties for appoximately 200 SURFers. Opportunities are available in the following NIST labs:
Applications for participation in NIST SURF must be made via USAJOBS.
- Boulder NIST SURF listing and application
- Gaithersburg NIST SURF listing and application
- Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents and undergraduates at a US college.
- A 3.0 GPA or better is recommended; students with GPAs lower than 3.5 will need exceptional research skills and experience to be competitive applicants.
- Apply only if you are available to participate in the full program: Boulder – May 20 to August 2, 2020 and Gaithersburg – May 26 to August 7, 2020.
- Applications are due via USAJOBS by March 4, 2019. Note that Boulder has a 450 applicant limit and therefore may stop taking applications ahead of the deadline.
A complete application includes: Copies of relevant college transcripts, current resume, two letters of recommendation (non-confidential – the applicant must submit them electronically), a comprehensive questionnaire, and proof of citizenship/permanent residency and health care coverage. The questionnaire (Boulder, Gaithersburg), resume, and letters of recommendation should contain information that helps the review committee make an informed decision about the student, such as why the student wants to participate in the SURF NIST program and what areas of NIST research interest the student.