To find out the best way to buy something, consult with your Administrative Assistant or one of the Stockroom Specialists Erin, Ellen, or J. See the sidebar to the right for Stockroom contact info.
We most commonly recommend that you buy things one of two ways:
- Buy from the Stockroom inventory of frequently used scientific supplies,
- Complete a requisition and let the Stockroom staff make the purchase for you.
April is here and the flowers are making cautious appearances on campus. After the fourth time you get snowed on, it doesn’t hurt to be cautious. But don’t worry little flowers, odds are good it isn’t going to snow on you again. And if it does, keep blooming anyway!
There might be a life lesson in there… but we’re here to talk about Spring Cleaning!
Don’t go stir crazy looking out the window that you can’t open. Take a break and stop by the Stockroom for smiling faces, and pick up everything you need to make your space new again.
Glass Disposal Box getting a bit packed?
Tape that lid up and come get a nice new empty one.
Dishes! Always such a chore, but isn’t sparkling clean glassware just so satisfying?
Choose from our selection of dish soap, Sparkleen, and Micro-90.
When was the last time you vacuumed out the air filters in your fridge or freezer?
What’s that you say? NEVER? Oh dear…
Well, this is a perfect time to ensure that your equipment keeps running efficiently. Each Stockroom has a handheld vacuum that you can borrow at no charge.
Have questions? Concerns? Comments? Just want to say hi?
Stop by, give us a call, or drop us an email. We’re happy to help with all your Science needs.
-Your Friendly Stockroom Staff
Happy Valentine’s Day!
We’re halfway through February and in full swing. And because we love our scientists, we’re working to make your courses and research go as smoothly as possible. That’s why we’re working to add the products that you need most to our inventory, and giving you even more choices when it comes to safety!
Eye Love You Too!
Glasses slipping down your face when you lean over to pipet? Don’t feel like you’re getting the coverage you need? We’ve added a new selection of safety glasses to our inventory so you can choose eye protection that’s the best fit.
The North Adaptec series by Honeywell comes in Narrow, Standard, and Wide, and offers adjustable fit to accommodate our college’s outstanding diversity of students, faculty, and staff. Stop by the Ford Stockroom to try on a pair. Want more information? Check out their brochure.
Column Me, Maybe
We like to be an on-demand solution for your solvent needs. So we’ve added 1L Acetonitrile and 4L Hexanes to our inventory. And as always, we aim to get the best price for you. We buy big, so you can spend small.
Save the Last Dance for Me
Sometimes products just aren’t as popular as they once were. Sometimes we get a bunch of items in by accident. And sometimes people just plain forget we sell a thing!
Either way, we’ve got a stock of items that are looking for a good home. Want to know what’s in our Clearance Section? Stay tuned! (Or stop by, we’d love to see you!)
-Your Friendly Stockroom Staff
Happy December everyone!
It might be getting darker out, but our work days have brightened up quite a bit with the arrival of our new coworker. Maybe you’ve met her already, but if you haven’t, be sure to stop by during our open hours to say a warm hello to Jamie Dufresne. She’s over in Sabin-Reed for the time being, training with Jack.
Jamie is a Northampton native who struck out into the world and learned all sorts of things that make her a perfect fit to join our team now that she’s back in the Valley. (I’m not saying it’s kismet, but we’re certainly glad to have her.)
Training for her, Retraining for you!
We want to make sure Jamie’s training goes as smoothly as possible, for her sake and yours! That starts with making sure that requisitions are filled out properly and completely.
Here is how you can help:
Check out our page about ordering, here. There are links to copies of our favorite versions of the requisition, and the info we need is highlighted for easy reference (and for training your students!).
If you are ordering from:
- Department/Program Funds – You should work directly with your Departmental or Program Assistant to make sure he or she has the information needed to track expenses. The usual process is to give the requisition to your departmental assistant BEFORE it goes to the Stockroom so that it can be reviewed for the correct charge information and funding availability, and signed by them. See your departmental assistant for further guidance. (Please do not give an additional copy of the requisition to the Stockroom; this practice results in duplicate orders and wasted funds.)
- Non Departmental Grants/Funds/Startups – To be in compliance with our external funders, the fund holder or authorized signer must sign the requisition before any order can be placed.–The authorized requisition can also be sent from your @smith.edu email address.–The signature is documented by either: a picture file of your signature inserted into the document or typing directly on the electronic document the words “by email”.
If you would like to add a person as an authorized signer on your external grant (NIH, NSF etc), or have questions about any aspect of your external grant, please contact the Grants Office (x2218)
Successful requisition tips:
- We must have an org number or a fund number AND an account number to place your order. (The name of the fund or org or “the same as last time” is not enough information.)
- All orders must be signed before they can be placed.
- Please send any emailed requisitions or general queries to email@example.com. This practice makes certain someone will see it, even if a particular stockroom staff member is out that day.
- Please make sure to put when you need something by. Without a need-by date, we assume that you are alright with ground shipping, which is 5-7 business days.
Have a wonderful end of semester, everyone!
Ah, Autumn in New England…
That soggy/dry/hot/cold time of year where we welcome cider donuts and returning students, and watch the First Years try to figure out how to dress. (Pro Tip: Layers!)
Down in the Stockrooms we’re busy again – not that summers are quiet, mind you – and getting everything you need ready for the start of classes and labs. All your favorite PPE and supplies are here, and we’re looking forward to seeing all of you back visiting us again.
What’s new? Coming Soon…
- A searchable online inventory so you can make a shopping list from your desk or lab.
- A Clearance & Freebie Section where you can find random items at ridiculously low prices, as well as samples and free items
- A Glove ‘Tasting’ Event – Gloves aren’t cheap and we go through a lot of them! We’d love to find an inexpensive option that works for everyone. Join us for a survey of available brands and give us feedback, for a chance to win prizes for you and your lab!
Remember to check out our FAQ for answers to questions on things like:
- How do I get keys and/or keycard access?
- What do I do to order something from a vendor?
- What do I need to do to buy something from the Stockroom?
- How much are Chemistry Model Kits?
- I had something shipped to me and I need to ship it out. How does that work?
- Is there some kind of chemical inventory?
- Who are you people?
- And more!
Have more questions? Just want to say hi? Stop in!
We’re open 8:30-4:30, closed 11:30-12:30 for lunch.
See you soon!
As we get closer to the end of the year, it’s time to plan for what you might need over the holiday break. The Stockrooms will be closed December 26, 2016 through January 2, 2017. We reopen bright and early at 8:30 on January 3rd.
As usual, there will be no deliveries by UPS, FedEx, or USPS during this time.
Any supplies you might need over the break, or that you’ll want to have show up first thing in January, should be ordered early.
If you don’t want to pay extra for shipping, order by Friday, December 9th. This will make sure that it will arrive on time. Standard ground shipping is 5-10 business days normally, and might be crazier this time of year (given the holiday shipping hustle and bustle). Don’t forget to fill in your need-by date on your requisition!
If you think you’ll need gas cylinders during the break, please be sure to get orders in by Wednesday the 21st.
Questions? Concerns? Well-wishing?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Stockrooms are now in summer hours, which means we’re open from 8AM to 4PM, and closed as usual for lunch from 11:30-12:30. We’ll be back to our later start-close with the rest of the college in the Fall!