If you purchase fully-regulated hazardous material or items containing fully-regulated hazardous material, PLEASE BE EXTRA CAREFUL ORDERING! Even if a vendor is able to ship the product to us, and will accept a return, we may not be able to ship it back because of shipping regulations.
We’ve all been hearing about it for months. The supply chain is messed up. Of course, now that the FTC is taking an interest…it will all be just fine soon, right?
Here are some of the supply chain situations impacting the Stockroom right now:
- A number of our vendors switched from creating their usual products (specialty tips, plastics, glassware) to focusing on products to help with C19.
- Some vendors did not make it through shutdowns and either closed or changed their business models.
- Products we would previously buy without restriction (gloves, tips, solvents) are being distributed by allocation and as a small college, we are far down on the list of priority for that allocation.
- Because of international shutdowns, US vendors could not get the product, packaging, or raw materials needed to fill the orders we placed.
- Prices skyrocketed for many of our usual items, especially consumables.
- Standard shipping no longer means 7-10 business days from the order date. Staffing shortages, supply shortages, and shutdowns at vendors mean that lead times to ship to us increase by any amount of days.
- The delivery chain broke down:
- The explosion in ordering online caused an already overcrowded shipping environment became swamped.
- Both a lack of available trucks and drivers put strain put on existing drivers who have sought employment elsewhere
- When the product doesn’t move by truck, it sits in the distribution warehouse. When the warehouses get full, no more products can be brought in, which means even if the items we need are available, there’s no way to get them off the cargo ships and into those warehouses and then onto trucks.
We’ll keep doing our best to get you your supplies. Order early, and don’t forget to tell us when you really need it!
Holiday Ordering Reminder:
The Stockrooms will be closed Thursday 12/23/21 reopening Monday 1/3/22.
There will be no deliveries from UPS/FedEx/USPS/etc and any packages sent to the College during that time will be held until after the new year.
If you will be working anywhere in the Science Center during the holiday break, please be aware that if you need products or gas cylinders to do your research, you should plan ahead.
If you want to pay Standard Shipping Rates, order by Wednesday, 12/8 by 1:00 pm.
Orders on dry ice or shipped via next day should be placed no later than Wednesday, 12/15. Remember, vendors will not ship cold/dry ice deliveries to arrive on Monday 1/3/22.
Gas cylinders should be ordered by Wednesday 12/15.
To find out the best way to buy something, consult with your Administrative Assistant or one of the Stockroom Specialists Erin, Ellen, or J. See the sidebar to the right for Stockroom contact info.
We most commonly recommend that you buy things one of two ways:
- Buy from the Stockroom inventory of frequently used scientific supplies,
- Complete a requisition and let the Stockroom staff make the purchase for you.