We’ve all been hearing about it for months. The supply chain is messed up. Of course, now that the FTC is taking an interest…it will all be just fine soon, right?
Here are some of the supply chain situations impacting the Stockroom right now:
- A number of our vendors switched from creating their usual products (specialty tips, plastics, glassware) to focusing on products to help with C19.
- Some vendors did not make it through shutdowns and either closed or changed their business models.
- Products we would previously buy without restriction (gloves, tips, solvents) are being distributed by allocation and as a small college, we are far down on the list of priority for that allocation.
- Because of international shutdowns, US vendors could not get the product, packaging, or raw materials needed to fill the orders we placed.
- Prices skyrocketed for many of our usual items, especially consumables.
- Standard shipping no longer means 7-10 business days from the order date. Staffing shortages, supply shortages, and shutdowns at vendors mean that lead times to ship to us increase by any amount of days.
- The delivery chain broke down:
- The explosion in ordering online caused an already overcrowded shipping environment became swamped.
- Both a lack of available trucks and drivers put strain put on existing drivers who have sought employment elsewhere
- When the product doesn’t move by truck, it sits in the distribution warehouse. When the warehouses get full, no more products can be brought in, which means even if the items we need are available, there’s no way to get them off the cargo ships and into those warehouses and then onto trucks.
We’ll keep doing our best to get you your supplies. Order early, and don’t forget to tell us when you really need it!