Last updated: September 2019

When are the exterior entrance doors to Bass, Burton, Ford, McConnell or Sabin-Reed open?

The exterior entrance doors to Burton, Ford, McConnell, and Sabin Reed are open and unlocked Monday-Friday 7am to 6pm.

The main entrance to Bass Hall is open when the Young Library is open. There are times during the academic year when Bass Hall may be open later than the regular Science Center open hours listed above. Please see the Libraries’ Hours page for their full schedule.

Extended Hours are Monday-Friday 6pm to 11pm and weekends from 8am to 10pm, excluding official Smith holidays (see the Holidays section of the HR benefits page). Any Smith student, staff or faculty with a valid Smith OneCard (or Five College students with a valid Visitor’s Card) can get into these card access buildings during these times.

Science faculty & staff automatically have card privileges to open external doors of buildings 24/7/365 including access during all holidays. Students may be granted 24/7/365 access by their advisor’s request.

Who can request access?

Only faculty and staff may request key or OneCard access privileges granted to another party. Typically, key or card access is granted by administrative support staff, supervisors, Department Chairs, Program Directors, or the faculty member responsible for the particular space. Students may request access for themselves but the requests will have to approved via email by the faculty or staff member responsible for the space.

How do I request keys or card access for Bass, Burton, Ford, McConnell or Sabin-Reed?

Keys and OneCard access requests for staff, faculty, casual employees, and Smith students, must be submitted via this form. Help us help you, please make sure you have the Smith ID#, the full name, email address of each person you are requesting access for, and buildings and room numbers. All of this information is required by the College and we cannot promptly process your request without it.

In all cases, exterior door access is granted by OneCard only. No exterior door keys are issued.

How do I request OneCard access to a space for Smith students in a course?

See the course request section of our key and card access form.

How can I request OneCard access to a building/space for a 5-College Student or a high school student in one of my classes?

All non course related Science Center visitors or Five-College Research Students need to apply for a Visitors Card via the access request form.

Smith faculty assigned to teach a class in a card access building, will be instructed by Registrar to direct any Five College students in their class to the OneCard office, if they need building access after hours. The OneCard office will distribute a Visitor’s Card, based on confirmation in registrar records. Five College students will need to wait a couple of days after finalizing their registration for a Smith course to be able to pick up their card. This is especially important to note for students who have registered during the add/drop period at the beginning of the semester as they will not be able to get the card immediately after registering.

Faculty who want to request building access for high school students who are enrolled in their classes at Smith, and need to access tutoring, project space, or other services, should contact Susan Zachary in the Class Dean’s office in College Hall 203 to discuss their specific needs. Cards will not be automatically issued.

How will I know when my card access has been programmed? You’ll receive a confirmation email from

If keys have been requested, how will I know they are ready? Where do I get them?
As of November 1, 2018 all requested keys will be picked up by individual recipients at the Facilities Management office 126 West Street, Northampton 413-585-2400. Hours are generally Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm, excluding observed holidays and occasional meetings or events.   Facilities Management will alert key recipients directly via email when their keys are ready. Any keys should be returned there as well.

How do I know when my students have picked up their keys/been granted card access?

The most expedient way is to ask students directly. If there is paperwork and training required, remind them that they have to do this BEFORE being granted access to a space.

Can’t I just get a bunch of copies of the key to my space and hand them out as needed?

No. Keys and cards are issued individually. Faculty and staff cannot request multiple keys and hand them out to others. Only one key of each type will be distributed to those that need them. If a key or card is lost, you are asked to submit a notification via the access request form immediately. Science Center Administration will take action if card privileges should be withdrawn or if locks should be changed.

What is my responsibility when asking for access to a space?

Anybody requesting for themselves or approving a key or card access for others is certifying the following:

“I confirm that I am responsible for the space(s) included in the request and take responsibility for access of the individual(s) mentioned. I authorize that the access recipient(s) may gain access to the space when I am not present. I certify that I have trained access recipients in the work to be performed (if any), the particular hazards associated with the lab or room, have given them any written emergency protocols specific to working in the space and trained the person on what to do in case of an emergency.”

What about access to Wet Labs and Similar Restricted Spaces?

All wet labs or spaces that contain hazardous materials or equipment are defined as “Restricted Spaces”. Students can only work in such Restricted Spaces upon completion of Lab Safety Training conducted by the Science Center Health & Safety Officer. Students that do not complete safety training when required, will have their card access privileges revoked. Lab Safety Training is not necessary if key/card access is granted to external doors only, office spaces, and computer rooms.

* Click here to see examples of restricted spaces in the Science Center

We rely on faculty to comply with such access restrictions and to inform their students. If e.g. a faculty member is requesting access to Tissue Culture Suite for their seven lab students, they either (1) don’t submit request until students have been trained, (2) ask approving staff/faculty member to submit request on their behalf, or (3) take responsibility for the students accessing the facility only after having been properly trained.

 Once inside a building, user may stay working in the building as long as they comply with the ‘buddy policy’ (not working alone) outlined on page 23 in the Science Center Safety Plan.

OneCard holders with 24/7 building access to Sabin Reed/Burton also have card access through the corridor door to the loading dock allowing access to dry ice storage.

Can I leave the door to my lab with a card swipe door unlocked?

It is possible to unlock an internal card swipe door and leave it in unlocked state just like when opening with a key. This can be done by double-swiping the card door (while door closed, swipe, pause 2 seconds, swipe again, then open door). This process can be repeated in reverse to re-lock the door at any time. The following conditions apply:

  • Double-swiping is available during open hours and extended hours, i.e. M-F 7am to 11pm and weekends 8am to 10pm.
  • The feature is only available to faculty and staff who already have permissions to that door. Student cards do not have this ability.
  • If left unlocked, all manually unlocked (double-swiped) doors will automatically lock again at end of extended hours (11pm weekdays, 10pm on weekends).
  • This feature is not available on exterior doors.


If I request card access, do I have to renew it?

All staff and faculty card privileges are active indefinitely, until they leave the college.

All Research Student card access privileges (beyond standard for Smith population) are active until the end of current academic year, or until manually revoked.

Any faculty member, who wishes to extend privileges for another year for certain Research Students, is required to submit a renewal request via the access request form before the expiration date.

I’m hosting an event where many people outside of the College have been invited. Can I have the exteriors doors unlocked?

Requests for opening doors for events will be considered on a case by case basis. Please submit an event access request here so that we have all of the info needed to process your request.