The CDF contains many potentially hazardous tools. Proper supervision and training are essential to keep staff, students and faculty safe. It is important that all users of the CDF obey and follow our safety training rules. What follows are the two most basic rules you must follow to use our facility.
- ALL users must attend a safety training session before they can do any work in the CDF. CDF staff maintain a list of trained users. Speak to any CDF staff member to schedule training.
- ALL users of the CDF must be supervised by a CDF staff member. This includes faculty and staff.
- Wear safety glasses at ALL times.
- Wear hearing and respiratory protection as required.
- Students are prohibited from working alone at any time.
- Unauthorized operation of machinery is prohibited.
- Wear appropriate clothing. No open toed shoes, shorts or loose clothing.
- No cell phones or personal listening devices.
- Remove all jewelry on hands including rings and loose bracelets.
- Remove necklaces and the like if not securely restrained.
- Restrain hair to prevent entanglement with moving machinery.
- Wearing of gloves when working on moving machinery are prohibited. Grinders and sanders excepted.
- Do not leave machinery running unattended.
- No food or drink allowed in shop.
- If at any time you are unsure of what you are doing, stop immediately and ask for help.
- Report any unsafe condition or any injury immediately to a machine shop staff member.
- Clean your work area and put tools away before leaving.