Happy December everyone!
It might be getting darker out, but our work days have brightened up quite a bit with the arrival of our new coworker. Maybe you’ve met her already, but if you haven’t, be sure to stop by during our open hours to say a warm hello to Jamie Dufresne. She’s over in Sabin-Reed for the time being, training with Jack.
Jamie is a Northampton native who struck out into the world and learned all sorts of things that make her a perfect fit to join our team now that she’s back in the Valley. (I’m not saying it’s kismet, but we’re certainly glad to have her.)
Training for her, Retraining for you!
We want to make sure Jamie’s training goes as smoothly as possible, for her sake and yours! That starts with making sure that requisitions are filled out properly and completely.
Here is how you can help:
Check out our page about ordering, here. There are links to copies of our favorite versions of the requisition, and the info we need is highlighted for easy reference (and for training your students!).
If you are ordering from:
- Department/Program Funds – You should work directly with your Departmental or Program Assistant to make sure he or she has the information needed to track expenses. The usual process is to give the requisition to your departmental assistant BEFORE it goes to the Stockroom so that it can be reviewed for the correct charge information and funding availability, and signed by them. See your departmental assistant for further guidance. (Please do not give an additional copy of the requisition to the Stockroom; this practice results in duplicate orders and wasted funds.)
- Non Departmental Grants/Funds/Startups – To be in compliance with our external funders, the fund holder or authorized signer must sign the requisition before any order can be placed.–The authorized requisition can also be sent from your @smith.edu email address.–The signature is documented by either: a picture file of your signature inserted into the document or typing directly on the electronic document the words “by email”.
If you would like to add a person as an authorized signer on your external grant (NIH, NSF etc), or have questions about any aspect of your external grant, please contact the Grants Office (x2218)
Successful requisition tips:
- We must have an org number or a fund number AND an account number to place your order. (The name of the fund or org or “the same as last time” is not enough information.)
- All orders must be signed before they can be placed.
- Please send any emailed requisitions or general queries to firstname.lastname@example.org. This practice makes certain someone will see it, even if a particular stockroom staff member is out that day.
- Please make sure to put when you need something by. Without a need-by date, we assume that you are alright with ground shipping, which is 5-7 business days.
Have a wonderful end of semester, everyone!