Wayne’s Semester Recap Fall 2021

By Wayne Ndlovu ’22

The Fall semester went by so fast!! I am glad we got to be on campus once again and had the chance to work with Jon and Tracy in person.

I got the opportunity to design a web map for the Jandon Center which shows the spatial distribution of their community partners in the US. I really enjoyed working on this project and learned more about the awesome work being done at the Jandon Center.

I also collaborated with Brooklyn Quallen from the Smith College Museum of Art on the Beyond the Museum: Art on Smith’s Campus StoryMap which Hannah Dillahunt, Emma Chubb, Lexie Casais and Gina Hall began working on in 2020. This map shows the location of the multiple art pieces around campus and some background information about them. Brooklyn researched the different art pieces and also took amazing photos of the pieces to add to the map. Please check out the StoryMap when you get the chance!

My other project was setting up a drone-mounted thermal camera and familiarizing with the software. I got to write my own version of a manual for the camera which combines both hardware setup and some software configurations. After our first drone flight using the camera, we got some cool footage of the pond and sports field. I will be working on analysing the footage this coming Spring and researching ways thermal cameras can be incorporated into some research studies particularly in those focused in hydrology and ecology.