Food Desert Interactive Maps:
- USDA Food Environment Atlas: http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-environment-atlas/go-to-the-atlas.aspx#.UmrR3fmKLAk
- USDA Food Access Research AtlasL http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-access-research-atlas/go-to-the-atlas.aspx#.UmrAWfmKLAl
- ESRI Food Desert Finder: http://megacity.esri.com/fooddeserts/#-10570450.2925;4722931.8985;10
- Another version of the same map: http://www.arcgis.com/explorer/?open=153c17de00914039bb28f6f6efe6d322
- Social Explorer: http://www.socialexplorer.com/89AACD3A4F1E4E1/explore
Things to think about while exploring the maps:
- How are the creators of this map defining a “food desert”? What spatial data are they including in their criteria?
- Is the map itself a useful way to analyze or communicate about food deserts? What scale of data is available (state, county, census tract)? Are the colors and/or the legend easy to interpret?