Summer is a great time for research experiences. Smith SURF is one opportunity. There are many other opportunities open to Smithies. This page summarizes search databases, other resources, and particular opportunities that have come to our attention.
Summer research search databases:
Resources for conducting a successful search and landing your summer research internship:
Listed in the order we’ve found out about them. Many are listed in the Lazarus Center opportunity database and on the Science Center Facebook page.
- DAAD RISE (Research Internships in Science and Engineering) – 8-12 weeks of summer research in Germany; working language is English. Apply by Dec. 15th.
- Rocky Mountain National Park, East side is looking for a fall intern. August 20, 2017 through November 4, 2017. 40 hours a week including weekends and holidays. Stipend is $225/week plus housing. Apply by April 30, 2017 https://smith-csm.symplicity.com/students/index.php?s=jobs&ss=jobs&mode=form&id=dab8c9e831a8711ae28951139fffd766
- Galileo Innovation Camps looking for Summer Instructors. Offering signing bonuses up to $1000.00 for select positions. Apply by May 17, 2017 https://smith-csm.symplicity.com/students/index.php?s=jobs&ss=jobs&mode=form&id=dab8c9e831a8711ae28951139fffd766
- Harvard Medical School Department of Biological Chemistry & Molecular Pharmacology summer internship. Full time $4400.00 stipend. Apply by April 30, 2017 https://www.scholars.hms.harvard.edu/apply
- Filoli Garden Internships: ten weeks, $10.50 per hour, college credits, free housing offered with families in the local community in exchange for eight hours per week of gardening or other work. Transportation can be provided. Schedules and more information posted on the website:http://www.filoli.org/interns/
- KeyBank has a summer internship opportunity: Risk Modeling and Analytics . To learn more and to apply: www.summeronthecuyahoga.com
- Summer 2017 ORISE Fellowship Opportunity at CDC. $2,800 per month for full-time undergraduate student fellows. Apply on-line at: https:///www.zintellect.com/Posting/details/2708 by January 20, 2017
- Paid 10 week summer 2017 environmental internship. Apply online after November 20, 2016 at: Collegiate Leaders in Environmental Health
- Summer 2017 Paid 10 week internship for Environmental Health Majors. Apply online after November 20, 2016 at: Environmental Health Services
- Summer 2017 Internship for Engineering and Science Majors. Apply by February 1, 2017: Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Internship Opportunity
- Summer 2017 $6000.00 award plus $500.00 housing and travel supplement. Apply by January 10, 2017:Caltech 10 week summer research opportunities
- Summer 2017 SPURS Columbia University Medical Center $4000.00 living expenses stipend. Starting mid-December apply online at: http://www.spurs.columbia.edu/application.html Deadline : February 5, 2017
- Summer 2017 Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Program at the University of Michigan. $4,250.00 stipend plus room and board and travel expenses. Apply online athttp://ddcsp-umich.com. by February 8, 2017.
- Summer 2017 Undergraduate experiences at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. $500/week stipend. $150 housing allowance. Apply online by February 1, 2017: http://www.orau.org/ornl/hereatornl/undergraduates.htm
- Apply NOW to the Nuclear Engineering Science Laboratory Synthesis
Programs (NESLS) Program at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) –
Summer 2017Must apply at https://www.zintellect.com/Posting/Details/2649
by February 28, 2017 for Summer term.
- Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program. (MLEF 2017) Dept of Energy. 10 week programs. Several locations. Undergraduates receive weekly stipend of $600. Apply by 12/30/2016. Online at: https://www.zintellect.com/Posting/Details/2551
- U.S. Army Institute for Surgical Research – Summer Internship Program (12 opportunities for BS students) – U.S. Citizenship Required Information Webpage: https://www.orau.org/maryland/isr.html
- Summer 2017 Amgen-UROP Scholars Program. Paid stipend, room, board, and transportation to and from Boston. Apply now: http://web.mit.edu/urop/amgenscholars/index.html
- Summer 2017 Harvard-Amgen Program. Emphasis on biotechnology research. Apply by February 1, 2017. For more information and instructions to apply: http://uraf.harvard.edu/amgen-scholars
- The DOE Scholars Program offers unique opportunities that introduce students or post-graduates to the agency’s mission and operations. Participants in the DOE Shcolars Program gain a competitive edge as they apply their education, talent and skills in a variety of scientific and policy research settings within the DOE complex. Appointments are available for a variety of disciplines at participating DOE facilities nationwide. Application closes Thursday, December 15, 2016 – click http://orise.orau.gov/doescholars/index.html
- NIH Summer Research Program. The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis. Paid full time work May 22, 2016 thru July 28, 2017. Deadline to submit completed application is 5:00pm on February 2, 2017 http://www.themiamiproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Admissions-Application-2017-Modified.pdf
- Are you a woman pursuing a STEM degree related to computer science? If the answer is yes, you are eligible to apply for The Next Scholars Program. The Next Scholars Program applications for both mentors and mentees are open now and being accepted through December 18th. Go to: http://globalstemalliance.org/program-areas/next-scholars/ for more information about the program and the application.
- SSEP Intern Positions. June 26 – August 5, 2017. SSEP interns serve as teaching assistants to Smith faculty in a variety of science fields, as well as residential counselors for high school participants. $11/hour plus room and board during the program. Apply on JobX by Februrary 22, 2017 http://www.smith.edu/summer/programs_ssep.php
- All expenses paid, 10-week Data Science Research experience for undergraduates. $5000.00 stipend, free on-campus apartment housing, and a meal allowance, at WPI. Apply Now for Summer 2017: wpi.edu/+dsreu
- King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is currently seeking to hire professionals with strong research skills to tutor high school students for summer 2016 in our Saudi Research Science Institute. This is a 7 week, live-in position located on the KAUST campus in Saudi Arabia. . For more information about KAUST, please visit our website at http://www.kaust.edu.sa/
- The 2017 Maine Medical Center Research Institute Summer Student Research Program application is now live. $4500.00 Stipend. Must have a GPA of 3.00 and above. For more information: http://mmcri.org/ns/?page_id=505
- Summer ORISE Fellowship Opportunity at the FDA. Opportunities available at the national Center for Toxicological Research, U.S. Food and Drug Administration in Jefferson, Arkansas. Apply online: https://www.zintellect.com/Posting/Details/2822
- 11 weeks of mentored, paid (stipend of $5775.00, free housing and food plan), independent research focusing on the effects of natural and human disturbances on forest ecosystems. Harvard Forest Apply online by Friday February 3, 2017 11:59pm (strict deadline): Harvard Forest
- The Horizons Fellowship supports 10 outstanding university students in their pursuit to become leaders in technology. The program provides immersive software engineering and web/mobile development courses geared towards high-achieving college students. Students need not have a computer science background! Our curriculum, developed by ex-Salesforce and Optimizely engineers alongside PhDs in computer science, is designed to teach students how to build web, mobile, and desktop applications. We have 4-month semester programs and 3-month summer programs in cities across the U.S Interested? Check it out: http://www.joinhorizons.com/fellowship
- Nuclear Engineering Science Laboratory Synthesis Program at oak Ridge National Laboratory. Summer 2017. Stipend based on academic status. Travel and housing for eligible participants. Professional development activities. Minimum GPA 3.0/4.0 Open to U.S. Citizens, Legal Permanent Residents and Eligible International Citizenship. Apply online at: https://www.zintellect.com/Posting/Details/2649 by February 28, 2017
- Higher Education Research Experiences (HERE) Program at Oak Ridge national Laboratory ((ORNL) Opportunities for qualified students, alumni, and faculty to participate in hands-on research in a real-world setting. Appointments are primarily for Science, Engineering, Technology and Mathematics majors. Applications accepted year-round. Full-time and Part-time appointments available. Minimum GPA – 2.5/4.0 Visit: http://www.orau.org/ornl/hereatornl/ for more information.
- The Analyst Institute helps Democratic and progressive groups figure out what really works in political and social justice campaigns. Looking to train paid interns, launch their careers. Offer two internship tracks: Synthesis and Outreach, and Statistics and Programming. Commitment of at least 10 weeks. Dates and hours are flexible. To learn more and apply: analystinstitute.recruitee.com
- Paid research internship opportunity for life sciences students, first year to graduating seniors. Intern with a Massachusetts company. Rolling consideration of applications, but apply ASAP. For more information and apply: http://www.masslifesciences.com/programs/internship/
- The US Fish & Wildlife Service and the Hispanic Access Foundation have partnered to connect diverse college students to careers in natural resource conservation. 12 week paid internships involving hands-on work with, and training by, natural resource professionals employed by the USFWS. For more information visit: www.hispanicaccess.org/usfws.
- The NPR visuals team (who do great data-driven journalism) are hiring a data/code/??? summer intern. Information available here: http://blog.apps.npr.org/2017/02/14/summer-2017-designer-developer-internship.html, application due March 5. They do require a GitHub coding portfolio, but I’d be happy to chat about how to put one together.
- The Department of Energy (DOE) and Office of Environmental Management (EM) are offering summer internships to current undergraduate and graduate students attending aMinority Serving Institution. Eligible candidates must be enrolled in a STEM discipline. Selected candidates will be compensated by either a stipend or salary, and may include one round trip domestic travel to and from the host laboratory. Stipends and salaries will be commensurate with cost of living at the location of the host laboratory. Housing information will be provided to interns prior to arrival at the host laboratory, and will vary from lab to lab. Application Deadline: March 20, 2017 For the full list of internships and eligibility; visit our website at: http://orise.orau.gov/msipp
- University of North Carolina Wilmington is recently awarded an NSF-REU grant in Statistical Learning and Data Mining with applications in computer vision and pattern recognition. Each of the participating students will receive $5000 as stipend and free on-campus housing. Moreover, it also includes support for meals and travel. Information of the program and application can be found through:
- The DataONE Summer Internship Program runs from May through July for a period of 9 weeks and is open to undergraduate students, graduate students, and postgraduates who have received their degree within the past five years. The internship project can be conducted remotely and offers a stipend of $5000.
For full information and to apply, visit https://www.dataone.org/internships. You will also find a link to other internship opportunities offered by DataONE leadership and partners.