Day 5 – Friday July 27, 2018

By Zoë and Robin

Our Friday began with a guest lecture from Kate Lee, a videographer at Smith, who taught us cinematic and photographic techniques for drones. We learned about useful camera movements and framing, as well as how to use more technical aspects, such as aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. After learning how to capture decent images and video, we wandered around campus carrying Phantom drones and put our knowledge to the test. There was no flying in the first half of Friday, but we took some very cool photos.
     After lunch, we went to the MacLeish Field Station in Florence, MA to fly some drones and try out the first person view (FPV) goggles. Using the FPV goggles was a surreal experience, to say the least. It truly felt like you were the drone. Although it was a bit disorienting and a bit dizzying at first, it was unlike anything I have ever experienced before and would gladly do again. My group used the Mavic Pro and the astonishing detail that the drone was capable of producing was awe-inspiring. I was able to see tops of trees and vast horizons from a vantage point I could only ever dream of in such a rural landscape.

Posted in blog post.