If you want me to write you a letter of reference, please follow the steps below:
- Email me to ask if I will write you a supportive letter. I will confirm or set up a time to chat more.
- Read Ask for a Recommendation. It’s geared towards grad school letters but has helpful information for all letters.
- Fill out this form once. You will need to login with a Smith address.
- Fill out this form for every program/school you will to apply to.
- At least two weeks before your first deadline, send me an email with the subject “Letter request” containing your resume/CV and a draft of your application statement(s). I cannot make any exceptions to this two week deadline if I have not previously written you a letter.
- Send me a reminder email two days before the deadline if I haven’t confirmed I sent it.
I’m happy to write letters, but the process is time consuming. If you ask me to write a letter, I expect that you will apply. If you won’t meet the deadline for your application, please let me know ASAP. And please let me know the outcome of your application!
(Phrasing and process borrowed from Professors Audrey St. John (Mount Holyoke College) and Christine Alvarado (UC San Diego))