Smith College faculty, students, and staff take great pride in our scientific instruments and tools. Over the course of Smith’s history, science faculty members have made sure that teaching and research labs have access to state-of-the-art technology. Many of our newest instruments have come with assistance from outside funders. For example, significant portions of NSF and HHMI funding helped us to acquire scientific equipment:
- Between 2003 and 2012, the National Science Foundation awarded Smith’s faculty more than $18 million in research grants—more than any of our peer institutions during that period.
- In 2012, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute awarded Smith a $1 million capstone grant in honor of the college’s “sustained excellence and important contributions to science education”—one of only 11 such awards nationally.
- Science Center Equipment Database
- Equipment maintenance and service contracts (contact departmental or center equipment manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Equipment replacement and renewal (contact department chair or center director or the Science Center Administrative Director)
- Our major equipment: see Research Centers
Other relevant sites: