DT's Research Page
D. Thiébaut is the holder with George Stefan of two patents, one of which (US Patent 6,760,821) the company is based on. Connex Technology/BrightScale is a fab-less start-up company conceived in April 2002, and funded by Adams Capital Management (www.acm.com) in April 2003.
More information on the history of the Connex Engine can be found here.
D. Thiébaut holds a Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Massachusetts, at Amherst, MA, USA.
Patents and Invention Disclosures
- Associative Memory Device, Gheorghe Stefan, Dominique Thiebaut, Dan Tomescu, United States Patent 7,069,386, granted June 27, 2006.
- Memory engine for the inspection and manipulation of data, Gheorghe Stefan & Dominique Thiébaut, United States Patent 6,760,821, granted July 6, 2004 ([patent/USPatent6760821.htm cached]). Also issued as Patent #5227-0002WOKR (Korea).
- A means for controlling the cache allocation of multiple disks in a shared disk cache, Joel Wolf, Harold Stone, and D. Thiébaut, IBM Invention Disclosure YO889-0493, Jun. 1989.
- A means for limiting the cache-reload transient caused by interrupt programs. Harold Stone, and D. Thiebaut, IBM Invention Disclosure YO889-0515, Jun. 1989.
- Security and Privacy in the Smart Grid: a Decentralized Approach, Upreti A., J. Cardell, D. Thiebaut, Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences conference (HICSS), January 2019, Hawaii.
- Automatic Evaluation of Computer Programs using Moodle's Virtual Programming Lab (VPL) Module, D. Thiebaut, CCSCNE 2015.
- 2D Packing on a Large Scale: Packing a Billion Rectangles under 10 Minutes, D. Thiebaut, Int'l Journal in Advances in Systems and Measurements, vol. 7, no. 1&2, pp. 80-90, July 2014.
- 2D Packing on a Large Scale, D. Thiebaut, in Proceedings of INFOCOMP 2013, Lisbon, Portugal, Nov. 2013. (Awarded best paper of InfoComp2013.)
- PushPush is NP-hard in 3D, J. O'Rourke, B. Chaudry, S. Chircu, E. F. Churchill, S. Fedorova, J. Franklin, B. Kaneva, H. Miller, A. Okmianski, I. Pashchenko, I. Streinu, G. Tewari, D Thiebaut, Elif Tosun, in Proceedings of CoRR, 1999.
- Processing Wikipedia Dumps: A Case-Study comparing the XGrid and MapReduce Approaches, D. Thiebaut, Yang Li, Diana Jaunzeikare, Alexandra Cheng, Ellysha Raelen Recto, Gillian Riggs, Xia Ting Zhao, Tonje Stolpestad, and Cam Le T Nguyen, in proceedings of 1st Int'l Conf. On Cloud Computing and Services Science (CLOSER 2011), Noordwijkerhout, NL, May 2011. (longer version)
- Encyclopedia Walkabouts with Visnomad: A New Visualization Tool Designed as an Aid for Textual Exploration, D. Thiebaut and L. Owens, Int'l conference on Information Visualization Theory and Application (IVAPP), Angers, France, 2010. (See Visnomad Web site for more information)
- Report from Computerville: Virtual Walkabouts and Master Narratives, L. Owens and D. Thiebaut, Massachusetts Review, Spring 2011 issue.
- Data Visualization of Agent-Based Modeling of Virus Spread , J. Gan, and D. Thiebaut, INFOCOMP 2017, June 25-29, 2017, Venice, Italy.
Connex Memory, Connex Engine
- Not Multi-, but Many-Core: Designing Integral Parallel Architectures for Embedded Computation, M. Malita, G. Stefan, D. Thiebaut, in ACM Sigarch Computer Architecture News, Vol. 35, No. 5, Dec. 2007.
- Not Multi-, but Many-Core: Designing Integral Parallel Architectures for Embedded Computation, G. Stefan, M. Malita, D. Thiebaut, in proceedings of ALPS, the 21st ACM International Conference on Supercomputing, Seattle, WA, June 2007.
- Pipelining the Connex Array, D. Thiébaut, M. Malita, BARC07, Boston, Jan. 2007.
- Local Alignment of DNA Sequences with the Connex Array, D. Thiébaut, G. Stefan, M. Malita, Int'l Conf. on Comp. in Global Information. Tech. (ICCGI06), Bucharest, Romania, Aug. 2006. (Awarded best paper of ICCGI06).
- Real-time Packet Filtering with the Connex Array, D. Thiébaut, M. Malita, Anchor/Isca06, Boston June 2006.
- Ziv-Lempel Compression with the Connex Engine, D. Thiébaut and G. Stefan, Tech Rep. 077, Dept. Computer Science, Smith College, Jan 2002. (postscript)
- Local Alignments of DNA Sequences with the Connex Engine, D. Thiébaut and G. Stefan, Tech Rep. 076, Dept. Computer Science, Smith College.
Parallel Programming with Transputers
- Parallel Programming in C for the Transputer, D. Thiébaut
- Randomized Routing for Message Passing Using Virtual Channels: Mitra, S, and D. Thiébaut, The Inebriated Router Algorithm, in proc. 1993 North American Transputer User Group Meeting Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Cache Memories and Coherence Protocols
- Footprints in the cache, D. Thiébaut and H. Stone, ACM Trans. on Comp. Syst.
- From the fractal dimension of the intermiss gaps to the cache miss-ratio, D. Thiébaut, IBM Journal of Research and Development
- On the fractal dimension of computer programs and its application to the computation of the cache miss-ratio, D. Thiébaut, IEEE Transactions on Computers
- Two economical directory schemes for large-scale cache coherent multiprocessors, Maa, Y. C., D. Pradhan, and D. Thiébaut, Computer Architecture News
- Improving disk cache performance with partitioning, Thiébaut, D., H. S. Stone, and J. L. Wolf, IEEE Transactions on Computers
- Synthetic traces for trace-driven simulation of cache memories, Theibaut, D., J. L. Wolf, and H. S. Stone, IEEE Trans. Computers
- A Model of workloads and its ue in miss-rate prediction for fully associative caches, Singh, J. P., H. S. Stone, and D. Thiébaut, IEEE Transactions on Computers
- fully associative caches, Singh, J. P., H. S. Stone, and D. Thiébaut, IEEE Transactions on Computers
- Modeling live and dead lines in cache memory systems, Mendlson, A., D. Thiébaut, and D. Pradhan, IEEE Transactions on Computers
- The hierarchical full-map directory scheme: Protocol and performance, Maa, Y. C., D. Pradhan, and D. Thiébaut, IEEE Transactions on Computers
- On the fractal dimension of computer programs and its application to the prediction of the cache miss ratio, D. Thiébaut, Computer Measurement Group Trans.
- Modeling of live lines and true sharing in multi-cache memory systems, Mendlson, A., D. Thiébaut, and D. Pradhan, in Proc. of the 1990 Int'l Conf. on Parallel Processing
- A hierarchical directory scheme for large-scale cache-coherent multiprocessors, Maa, Y. C., D. K. Pradhan, and D. Thiébaut, 1992 Int'l Parallel Processing Symposium