- Adult development in social context, with a focus on young adult identity and midlife generativity
- Personality and political psychology, with a focus on authoritarianism
- Psychobiography and the study of lives
1) Peterson, B. E. & Duncan, L. E. (2007). Midlife women's generativity and authoritarianism: Marriage, motherhood, and 10 years of aging. Psychology and Aging, 22, 411 - 419.
2) Peterson, B. E. (2006). Generativity and successful parenting: An analysis of young adult outcomes. Journal of Personality, 74, 847 - 869.
3) Cheung, F. & Peterson, B. E. (2006). Psychology and Asian American literature: Application of the life-story model of identity to No-No Boy. CR: The New Centennial Review, 6, 191 - 214.
4) Peterson, B. E. & Gerstein, E. (2005). Fighting and flying: Archival analysis of threat, authoritarianism and the North American comic book. Political Psychology, 26, 887 - 904.