- ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry Award in Inorganic Chemistry: Esther Hong '14
- American Chemical Society/Polymer Education Division: Rebecca Gerdes '15.
- American Chemical Society/Analytical Division Award: Clarke Knight '14.
- American Institute of Chemists/New England Division Award: Kelly Smith '13.
- C.Pauline Burt Prize: Sarah Kay '13 and Lisa Cunden '13
- Connecticut Valley Section of the American Chemical Society Award:
Szilvia B.Kiss '13, and Colby Loew, '13.
- CRC Press Introductory Chemistry Achievement Award: Anna Beatty '16, Pooja Hindocha '16, Eirini Tsekitsidou '16, and Yijin Wei '16.
- Hause-Scheffer Memorial Prize: Jiyeon Kim '13
- Hellman Award in Biochemistry: Naihan Chen '14.
- Rosenfeld Award in Organic Chemistry: Nhu Nguyen '14J
and Rebecca Gerdes '15.
- National Iota Sigma Pi Undergraduate Award: Lisa Cunden '13.
- National Iota Sigma Pi Gladys Anderson Emerson Award: Clarke Knight '14.
- ACS Division of Organic Chemistry Award in Organic Chemistry: Elsa Hinds '13
- pHunger Games Winners: Jiyeon Kim '13 and Szilvia B.Kiss '13
For more complete publication lists, please visit department members' individual web pages.
- Olson, J. A.; Shea, K. M. "Additions and Corrections to Critical Perspective: Named Reactions Discovered and Developed by Women," Acc. Chem. Res. 2012, 45, 482-483.
- T. Yvanka de Soysa, A. Ulrich, T. Friedrich, D. Pite, S.L. Compton, D. Ok, R.L. Bernardos, G.B. Downes, S. Hsieh, R. Stein, M.C. Lagdameo, K. Halvorsen, M.J.F. Barresi, "Macondo crude oil from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill disrupts specific developmental processes during zebrafish embryogenesis," BMC Biology, 2012, 10 40.
- S. Hsieh, T. Thida, M.K. Nyamumbo, K.A. Smith, N. Naamad, R.G. Linck, "O-H stretch overtone excitation of ethyl hydroperoxide conformers," Journal of Physical Chemistry A 2011, 115, 14040-14044.
- Jamieson, E.R., Eppley, H.J., Geselbracht, M.J., Johnson, A.R., Reisner, B.A., Smith, S.R., Stewart, J.L., Watson, L.A., and Williams, B.S. "Inorganic Chemistry and IONiC: An Online Community Bringing Cutting Edge Research into the Classroom," Inorg. Chem. 2011, 50, 5849-5854.
- Campbell, L.; Tyson, J.; Stackpole, E.; Hokenson, K.; Sherrill, H.; McKeon, J.; Kim, S.; Edmands S.; Suarez, C. and Hall, A.C., "Assessment of General Anaesthetic Cytotoxicity in Murine Cortical Neurones in Dissociated Culture", Toxicology, 2011, 283, 1-7.
- Olson, J. A.; Shea, K. M. "Critical Perspective: Named Reactions Discovered and Developed by Women," Acc. Chem. Res. 2011, 44, 311-321.
- Cunden, Lisa S., Linck, R. G., "Fe(CO)4 and Related Compounds as Isolobal Fragments," Inorg. Chem., 2011, 50, 4228-4236.
- C. Say and K. T. Queeney, "Chemical Functionalization of Water-Etched Silicon," in Nanoscale Pattern Formation, edited by E. Chason, R. Cuerno, J. Gray, K.-H. Heinig (Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Volume 1228E, Warrendale, PA, 2010), 1228-KK05-34.
- Shea, K. M. "The Diels-Alder Reaction," In Name Reactions for Carbocyclic Ring Formations; Li, J. J., Ed.; Wiley & Sons, Inc.: Hoboken, NJ, 2010; 275-308.
bold denotes student author
- Lexiaochuan (Mimi) Wen, Burk, L. A., "An Environmentally Friendly Synthetic Approach: Making Vanillin from Colored Clay" 2012 Undergraduate Research Symposium of the Conneticut Valley Section of the American Chemical Society, Springfield College, Springfield, MA, April 28, 2012
- Spear, Eliza, Linck, R. G., "Ruthenium Galloping the Ring", 2012 Undergraduate Research Symposium of the Conneticut Valley Section of the American Chemical Society, Springfield College, Springfield, MA, April 28, 2012.
- Carmen Say and Amelia Evans, 85th ACS Colloids and Surfaces Symposium (Montreal), "Control of surface chemistry and nanotopography on Si(100): The effect on biofilm nucleation," C. Say, A. Evans, R. Dorit and K. T. Queeney (poster), 2011
- Jasmine Wallas, 85th ACS Colloids and Surfaces Symposium (Montreal)
"The role of protein conditioning films in biofilm nucleation: Poly-l-lysine mediated adsorption of alginate," J. Wallas, S. Michael and K. T. Queeney (poster), 2011
- Cristina Santarossa, ACS Connecticut Valley Section Undergraduate Research Symposium (Trinity College), "Probing the molecular architecture of biofilms: An in situ FTIR investigation of poly-L-lysine and alginate on Silicon-based surfaces" (poster), 2011.
- Carmen Say, ACS Connecticut Valley Section Undergraduate Research Symposium (Trinity College), "The effects of surface chemistry and topography on biofilm growth," C. Say, P. Turrini, R. Dorit and K. T. Queeney (poster), 2011
- Olson, J. A.; Shea, K. M. "The Role of Women in the Discovery and Development of Named Organic Reactions," 42nd National Organic Symposium, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, June 5-9, 2011. (Poster)
- Rothstein, S. A.; Shea, K. M. "Development of Novel Cationic Diels-Alder Dienophiles Stabilized by Cobalt-Complexed Alkynes," 42nd National Organic Symposium, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, June 5-9, 2011. (Poster)
- Perlmutter, S. J.; Blunt, C. E. W.; Shea, K. M. "Development of a Tandem Diels-Alder/Pauson-Khand Strategy for the Synthesis of Tetracycles," 42nd National Organic Symposium, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, June 5-9, 2011. (Poster)
- DiBartolo, P. M.; Rudnitsky, A. N.; Shea, K. M. "Knowledge Forum: Facilitating Development of Idea Centered Learning Environments" New England Faculty Development Consortium Technology Workshop, New England Institute of Technology, Warwick, Rhode Island, June 8, 2012. (Talk)
- Shea, K. M. "Getting New Faculty and Their Mentors to Talk About Teaching and Learning" AALAC Workshop on Mentoring New Faculty, Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota, June 4, 2012. (Talk)
- Kate Queeney, "Functionalization of hydrogen-terminated Si(100) surfaces with nanoscale topography", Kate Queeney, Carmen Say, Amelia Evans, Megan Januszewski, Chelby Wakefield, Jinglin Huang, Jing Zhang, Rob Dorit. Invited talk, ACS National Symposium, San Diego, April 2012.
- Shea, K. M. "Empowering Students to Learn Chemistry: My Journey to Student and Idea-Centered Teaching" Ed Mellon Lecture, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, April 6, 2012. (Talk)
- Shea, K. M. "Applications of Cobalt-Alkyne Complexes in Organic Synthesis" Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, April 5, 2012. (Talk)
- Shea, K. M. "The Role of Women in the Development and Discovery of Named Organic Reactions" University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida, January 24, 2012. (Talk)
- Shea, K. M. "Knowledge Building: Application of the Science of Teaching and Learning" New England Faculty Development Consortium, College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, Massachusetts, November 18, 2011. (Talk)
- Kate Queeney, "The role of surface chemistry in biofilm nucleation: Protein-mediated polysaccharide adsorption," K. T. Queeney, R. Dorit, C. Santarossa,* C. Say,* A. Evans* and J. Wallas,* invited oral presentation at 50th Annual Eastern Analytical Symposium, Somerset, NJ, Nov. 14 2011.
- Kate Queeney, "How does your biofilm grow? The effect of surface chemistry on biomolecule adsorption," Chemistry Department Seminar, Williams College, Oct. 28, 2011.
- Kate Queeney, "Advising as Teaching in the Liberal Arts," (keynote address), Williams College Advising Matters Workshop, September 2011.
- Kate Queeney, "The effect of surface chemistry on molecular conformation: In situ IR spectroscopy of poly-L-lysine and alginate adsorption," C. Santarossa and K. T. Queeney (poster), 85th ACS Colloids and Surfaces Symposium, Montreal, Quebec, June 2011.
- Kate Queeney, "How does your biofilm grow? The effect of surface chemistry on biomolecule adsorption", Connecticut College Chemistry Seminar,
- Kate Queeney, "Advising as Teaching in the Liberal Arts", COFHE Advising Deans Conference, Smith College, February 2011
Student Grants and Awards
- Outstanding Poster Presentation, 85th ACS Colloids and Surfaces Symposium, 2011, to Carmen Say for her poster presentation, "Control of surface chemistry and nanotopography on Si(100): The effect on biofilm nucleation,"C. Say, A. Evans, R. Dorit and K. T. Queeney
- Szilvia B.Kiss '13: The ACS Division of Organic Chemistry Travel Award to present her research from the Shea Lab at the Philadelphia National ACS Meeting in August 2012.
- Elsa Hinds '13 The ACS Connecticut Valley Section Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship to pursue research in the Shea Lab.
Faculty Grants and Awards
- David Gorin, "Cottrell College Science Award" from Research Corporation for Science Advancement, 2012 to 2014
- David Gorin, "Research Rewards Grant" from Trilink Biotechnologies, 2011 to 2013
- Elizabeth Jamieson, "Effect of the Spiroiminodihydantoin Lesion on DNA Helix Stability and Nucleosome Structure," from the NIH.
- Kate Queeney. “Nanoscale topography in a beaker: Characterization and development of patterned Silicon surfaces,” Henry Dreyfus Teacher Scholar Award, The Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation, 2010.
- Kate Queeney, "AEMES: Focus on Chemistry" from The Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation.
- Kevin Shea, Petroleum Research Fund Type UR Award (American Chemical Society) for "Expanding the Scope of the Diels-Alder Reactions: Development of Cationic Dienophiles Stabilized by Cobalt-Complexed Alkynes", September 2009-August 2012
on May 21 2013 13:59:05.