Log -- CSC400-Kinect F2011
- 1 Log Page
- 1.1 09/25/11: Installing Microsoft SDK on Windows 7
- 1.2 09/27/11: Setup backup on Windows 7 Shuttle
- 1.3 09/27/11: Setup backup on MacPro (w/ Kinect)
- 1.4 10/02/11: Notes on Languages
- 1.5 10/02/11: Kinect SDK on MacPro
- 1.6 10/08/11: kinectTCP: Kinect SDK in any programming language (?)
- 1.7 10/09/11
- 1.8 10/10/11: Hardware Assignment
- 1.9 10/13/11: Hardware update
- 1.10 10/17/11: Playing with Kinect TCP example Java program
- 1.11 11/06/11: Static gestures with kinect TCP
- 1.12 11/09/11: continue to work on WOD demo
- 1.13 11/11/11: Apple App for kinect?
- 1.14 11/21/11: Contemplating if detecting "waving gesture" using events makes sense...
- 1.15 12/1/11
- 1.16 11/14/12
- 2 Resources
- Record your progress here
09/25/11: Installing Microsoft SDK on Windows 7
-kris 19:30, 2 October 2011 (EDT)
09/27/11: Setup backup on Windows 7 Shuttle
--Thiebaut 12:32, 27 September 2011 (EDT)
- Added drive F: to computer, name: data, capacity 500GB
- Setup backup system to backup to F: every day at 5:00 a.m.
- F: should be used for backups only for now.
- Use C: for storing all your files/programs/documents
- Setup McAfee antivirus
09/27/11: Setup backup on MacPro (w/ Kinect)
--Thiebaut 16:43, 27 September 2011 (EDT)
- Started TimeMachine and pointed it to Macintosh HD 2 (1TB free)
- Installed Boot Camp
- Installed Windows 7 Home Edition
- Setup new users on Windows for everybody involved
- Machine now boots to Windows by default
10/02/11: Notes on Languages
From Official Documentation:
"To take advantage of the experimental capabilities and features in this beta SDK, developers should be familiar with the following: [...] Visual Studio 2010 [..] C# or C++ languages ."
-kris 20:14, 2 October 2011 (EDT)
10/02/11: Kinect SDK on MacPro
- installed SDK on MacPro running Windows (with the Speech Recognition Tool) - on IS400 account
- installed both Visual Studio C++ and C# on MacPro - on IS400 account
- tried two sample programs - Cursor Control and Paint from here - but they came as exe files and I wasn't able to figure out how to view the source code in Visual Studio (didn't find .sln file)
NOTE: tracking seems to work much better on MacPro (because of the setup - more space?)
-kris 22:59, 2 October 2011 (EDT)
10/08/11: kinectTCP: Kinect SDK in any programming language (?)
Something to explore : kinectTCP
"KinectTCP is a TCP/IP server that offers all video, depth and skeleton services of Microsoft’s Win7 Kinect SDK, independent from specific programming languages. kinectTCP allows programmers, who do not want to deal with windows specifics of libraries and languages, to utilize the Kinect using their language of choice, e.g. JAVA, BASIC, MATLAB, PYTHON, FLASH, C#,... kinectTCP runs under Win 7, but it frees the programmer from the necessity of using a .net environment."
-kris 14:03, 8 October 2011 (EDT)
- tried the backup on the PC - seems like the backup drive is disconnected.
- downloaded and successfully ran in Visual Studio source code for Kinect Earth Move (it is in kinect samples folder on my desktop and should be accessible to all other users...)
- had an interesting accident of my hoodie on a chair being mistaken for a second skeleton by Kinect :)
-kris 16:33, 9 October 2011 (EDT)
10/10/11: Hardware Assignment
This seems like a good fit: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=5D0CD085A5CA7304
-kris 14:49, 10 October 2011 (EDT)
10/13/11: Hardware update
Yes indeed! The link to Crucial above was a good one. We have new Crucial memory in the Shuttle: 4GB from crucial, plus the original 1GB
We also have a new processor: Athlon, X2 (2 core)
And the backup hard disk was dead. I've put a new one in.
Thiebaut 14:05, 13 October 2011 (EDT)
10/17/11: Playing with Kinect TCP example Java program
- Need to open kinectTCP executable and press 'Start Kinect' before running the example program
- lags a little bit even on minimal settings
- Figuring out the way the example program works.. Added circles to mark joints and indices of joints onto the skeleton frame (see the screenshot)
-kris 17:05, 17 October 2011 (EDT)
- Do not hesitate to move to the Mac if the Shuttle is too slow. The Mac has a good processor in its belly! :-) --Thiebaut 10:13, 19 October 2011 (EDT)
11/06/11: Static gestures with kinect TCP
- added the following gestures: handsApart, handsForward, handsTogether, handsUp, handsCrossed, rightHandUp, leftHandUp
- failed to boot MacPro to Mac mode to install Processing+Kinect
-kris 16:51, 6 November 2011 (EST)
11/09/11: continue to work on WOD demo
-kris 01:28, 10 November 2011 (EST)
11/11/11: Apple App for kinect?
-kris 01:20, 12 November 2011 (EST)
11/21/11: Contemplating if detecting "waving gesture" using events makes sense...
seems like events are mostly for GUI components...
-kris 01:24, 21 November 2011 (EST)
- working on hand-waving
- KinectTCP.exe started crashing (seems like it crashes if you try to start it while having Google Chrome open (?))
- connected the computer up after the break
- everything seems to work as I left it
- but kind of slow/glitch-y and can use some more work