Kaylynn C's CSC231 2014 Page
Kaylynn C's Lab Report
On 10/7/14, I took apart a PC. The instructions are here. The computer my group took apart was a Dell, model number DHM. The serial number is DPQNY41. The goal of this lab was to understand the parts of a computer, where they are located, and their function. CSC231
- Our computer, before anything was done to it:
- First, we opened the case. It has a hinge system so it opens like a book. The parts visible are the hard drives, disk drive, hard drive switcher, lots of cables, the back of the fan, and parts of the motherboard.
- The motherboard is to the left of the case when first opened. The lines on the motherboard connect parts of the motherboard to other components on the motherboard. There is also a battery on the motherboard, which allows the computer to keep time even when off. It also includes components such as the RAM, processor, and the crystal.
- The crystal on the motherboard allows the computer to keep time and perform instructions. Without it, the computer would not function properly.
- Here is the processor. It's located on the motherboard. It's an intel processor with a model number FW8201EB, I think. In the computer, the processor runs every instruction. Anything the user asks the computer to do is run through the processor, or CPU.
- The RAM is also located on the motherboard. It is made by Infineon, and there are 512 MB of RAM in this computer. RAM stands for random access memory, and is used as storage space for things currently running in the computer, such as programs currently open. In general, if a computer has more RAM, it will run faster.
- The CD-ROM is located on the right side of the case when it is open, in a slot that leads to the exterior of the case so it can be accessed by users. It is a CD drive, and allows the computer to read CDs.
- The hard disk(s) are in the slots on the right side of the case. There are two of them, as well as a hard disk switcher allowing the user to choose which one to use. The hard disk holds 80GB of data.
Disk Drive Switcher
I think this allows the user to switch which hard disk they are using. Since this computer has two hard disks, it would allow the user to choose one.
- The power supply is in the upper left hand corner when the case is first opened.
- There were a lot of cables like this inside of the computer. They are used for transmitting information from the motherboard to other components. There were also red and black cables, which are power cables.