103b be 2012
CSC 103 Lab Report: Demolition Lab
- Visible Parts
- 1.Mother board
- 3.Power Supply
- 5.Cables & Wires
- The motherboard is located on the base of the computer and according to wikipedia, "a motherboard is the central printed circuit board (PCB) in many modern computers and holds many of the crucial components of the system, providing connectors for other peripherals.motherboard, like a backplane, provides the electrical connections by which the other components of the system communicate, but unlike a backplane, it also connects the central processing unit and hosts other subsystems and devices." (in Wikipedia. Retrieved Feb. 21 2012, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherboard).
- BatteryLocated on the Motherboard is a battery (much like a watch battery) that keeps track of time within the computer.
- CrystalsAlso on the Motherboard are crystals that basically determine how fast the computer can operate. According to wikipedia, "The clock rate of a CPU is normally determined by the frequency of an oscillator crystal. Typically a crystal oscillator produces a fixed sinusoidal waveform – the frequency reference signal." (in Wikipedia. Retrieved Feb. 21 2012, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate).
- Not pictured
- The Processor is located underneath the fan that is immediately visible when you open the computer.
- It is an Intel Pentium 4 processor (like the commercials!)
- According to wikipedia, "The central processing unit (CPU) is the portion of a computer system that carries out the instructions of a computer program, to perform the basic arithmetical, logical, and input/output operations of the system. The CPU plays a role somewhat analogous to the brain in the computer. The term has been in use in the computer industry at least since the early 1960s. The form, design and implementation of CPUs have changed dramatically since the earliest examples, but their fundamental operation remains much the same." (in Wikipedia. Retrieved Feb. 21 2012, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_processing_unit).
- RAM is the Random Access Memory and stores data for the computer. My computer contained four pieces of RAM, each with 256MB of memory.
- The Hard Disk is located on the lid on the computer and contained 40GB of data. Inside the hard disk is the actual disk which is what hold all of the data.
- The DVD Burner is also located on the lid of the computer (on the left hand side), this is what allows you to play all of the DVD/CD inserted in your computer.
- The power Supply was also located on the base of the computer and outputs 210watts of power.
- Wires - The cables that run from the power supply to the rest of the computer provide power to all parts of the computer.
- Ribbon -The ribbons seen in the computer are what move data from one piece to another.
- Main class page: http://cs.smith.edu/dftwiki/index.php/CSC103_2012
- Main wiki page: http://cs.smith.edu/classwiki/index.php/CSC103_Page_2012