PC Demolition Lab
- The computer model that I took apart with my partner Yoshie was a Dell Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU
- The motherboard, data cables, hard-drive disk, DVD drive, RAM, fan, and power supply were visible when the cover was removed.
- Intel Pentium 4
- Located underneath the heat-sink on the motherboard
- 3.2 GHz
- "The processor microprocessor is a multipurpose, programmable device that accepts digital data as input, processes it according to instructions stored in its memory, and provides results as output.The operate on numbers and symbols represented in the binary numeral system"(in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microprocessor).
RAM(Random Access Memory)
- 512MB per RAM
- Micron Technology
- Located in the slots on the upper-right hand corner of motherboard
- "Form of computer data storage that allows stored data to be accessed in the same amount of time at any storage location, allowing data to be accessed quickly in any random order." (in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Access_Memory)
- Located next to the hard drive with the data transfer and power supply cables attached to it
- " It is a disk drive that uses laser light or electromagnetic waves within or near the visible light spectrum as part of the process of reading or writing data to or from optical discs. Compact discs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs are common types of optical media which can be read and recorded by such drives."(in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc_drive)
- Data cables connect a computer to a power source or other device and provide communication between devices.
- Located to the right of the DVD drive on the cover of the case.
- The platter is a circular, metal disk that is mounted inside a hard disk drive. Several platters are mounted on a fixed spindle motor to create more data storage surfaces in a smaller area.
- "It is a non-volatile, random-access, magnetic data storage device. Magnetic heads read and write data to the surface of the platter. The drives also contain all of a computer's operating data, and are also useful for backing up data." (in http://www.ehow.com/about_5184975_functions-hard-drives_.html"
- Located inside the computer tower case and is screwed to the bottom
- "It is a printed circuit board found in all modern computers that holds crucial components of the system, which include central processing unit (CPU) and memory, and provides connectors for other peripherals."
- 2 crystals are located on the surface of the motherboard
- "The crystal is a piece of quartz that vibrates at a very specific frequency that controls the speed of the processor"